pages

Image Map

Saturday, November 29, 2014

celery heart art

Crunching away on a plateful of Ants on a Log, I found myself admiring the beauty of the celery heart remnants I'd (sloppily) left on the counter. As I licked my fingers clean of peanut butter, I had a flash back to sixth grade when Betsey Johnson was all the rage. With the stalks cut level, the pale green root was transformed into BJ rosette. Now, BJ has always been a little too rock-n-roll for my tastes, but, regardless of my aversion to punk-y fashion, I saw beauty in that rosette-reminiscent stalk. I was suddenly attached to the celery heart--it was no longer a plain 'ol Jane veggie, it was art. I was determined to somehow preserve it, so I ran upstairs, grabbed our bin of paint supplies and got to work.

Here's a rather dark and blurry (sorry, bad lighting!) photograph of the finished result:



I know what you're thinking, 'Eh. It looks sloppy'. It's okay, I'm thinking it too. I expected it to be abstract, just maybe not this abstract. Oh well! Just imagine the possibilities here! This was a very rushed, haphazard trial, but if you took the time to carefully coat the celery heart with a layer of paint and to carefully stamp the paper with the root, it could result in something absolutely beautiful. I encourage all my celery-loving bunny rabbits to experiment with their leftovers this season. I might attempt it again on a larger scale to make a unique wrapping paper. I'll let y'all know how it goes! 

For anyone interested, here's a photographic play by play of the process:







No comments:

Post a Comment